23.9 C
New York
Wednesday, May 29, 2024

82 Murders Were Reported In India Every Day In 2021, UP, Bihar, Maharashtra Saw The Highest

The number of murder cases reported in India in a year saw a marginal increase to 29,272 in 2021 against 29,193 in 2020, data from National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) report showed.

According to the NCRB’s ‘Crime in India 2021‘ report, a total of 30,132 people were murdered in India in 2021.

Gatecrashers Beat Man To Death Whose Birthday Party They Weren
iStock/Representational Image

In other words, an average of 82 people were murdered daily across India in the past year.

Jump To

States that saw most murders

Among the top five states reporting murders were Uttar Pradesh (3,717 cases, 3,825 people), Bihar (2,799 cases, 2,826 people), Maharashtra (2,330 cases, 2,381 people), Madhya Pradesh (2,034 cases, 2075 people) and West Bengal (1,884 cases, 1,919 people), it showed.

Delhi recorded 459 cases in which 478 people were murdered, according to the NCRB figures.

Dispute biggest reason for murder

‘Disputes’ (9,765 cases) were the motive in the highest number of murder cases in 2021 followed by ‘personal vendetta or enmity’ (3,782 cases) and ‘gain’ (1,692 cases), according to the annual report.

crime scene tape
iStock

However, the rate of murder (per lakh population) was highest in Jharkhand at 4.1 (1,573 cases, 1,606 people) followed by Andaman and Nicobar Islands at 4 (16 cases, 18 people), the data showed. Delhi had a crime rate of 2.2 for murder.

Increase in suicide cases

The NCRB data also showed that a total of 1,64,033 suicides were reported in India in 2021 — a 7.2-per cent increase from 1,53,052 in 2020.

Maharashtra reported the highest number of suicides among all the states in the country, followed by Tamil Nadu and Madhya Pradesh, in 2021, a year that saw 1,64,033 such cases across India.

crime scene tape
File

“Majority of suicides were reported in Maharashtra (22,207), followed by 18,925 suicides in Tamil Nadu, 14,965 suicides in Madhya Pradesh, 13,500 suicides in West Bengal and 13,056 suicides in Karnataka, accounting for 13.5 per cent, 11.5 per cent, 9.1 per cent, 8.2 per cent and 8 per cent of total suicides respectively,” the report said.

These five states together accounted for 50.4 per cent of the suicides reported in the country. The remaining 49.6 per cent of cases were reported from the 23 other states and eight Union territories.

Indian Population
BCCL

Reasons for suicide

Professional or career-related problems, a sense of isolation, abuse, violence, family problems, mental disorders, addiction to alcohol, financial loss and chronic pain are the main reasons behind incidents of suicide in the country, data showed.

It also showed that as many as 45,026 females died of suicide in 2021, out of which more than half were housewives.

“Of females who committed suicides, the highest number (23,178) was of house-wives followed by students (5,693) and daily wage earners (4,246),” the report said.

For more on the news, sports, and current affairs from around the world, please visit Indiatimes News.  

Related Articles

Stay Connected

1,520FansLike
4,561FollowersFollow
0FollowersFollow
- Advertisement -

Latest Articles